Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Just scared the shit out of some lady

So it's 1:52am on the west coast and I just got home from a movie.  They're doing construction on my street tomorrow so I had to park a couple blocks away.  So I enjoyed a pleasant night stroll, and as I reach my apartment building I see a lady out front, letting her dog pee.  I realize that the timing of her bringing the dog inside is going to align pretty much exactly with me reaching the door.  Obviously she's gonna be creeped out if I try to get into the building with her, unless she knows that I live here, and since we're both humans, and our species has evolved as such that concepts can be expressed and understood through spoken language,  I say to her "Hi, I live here" in as comforting and apologetic a tone as I can muster.  She responds by giving me a quick look, then hurrying her dog up the steps, rushing the door open (by this point I've accepted that I lost this battle and I'm just letting her go in by herself), then closing it behind her and running through the lobby.  Once she's out of the lobby I come in, and hear her running down the hall and slamming her door.  I wait until I hear the second and third locks click into place before I exit the lobby and take the elevator to my room.

If I was black I'd hear sirens outside by now.

Also, did I do anything wrong here?  Is the correct choice for me to keep walking down the street until she goes inside, then circle back to come in by myself?  That's dumb.  Fuck people.

3 comments: