Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The Haitian Sensation Part 2: Luxury


The flight was early. It took me all night to gather the gear and test everything, leaving me only an hour to sleep before the taxi arrived. I loaded up the taxi and when to pick up (lets call her) Lauren. After a long wait, she emerges and we lot her two enormous bags, one of which is filled with children’s clothes and shoes for a school. In the cab is the first time we’ve met so we talk and get to know each other. We’re both exhausted so eventually we slip into a sleepy, understanding silence.

LAX. We’re late! We’ve missed the check in time. The woman behind the counter tells us we’re very luck. She’s covering for the manger so she can override the system to get our bags checked and our boarding passes printed. She tells us to sprint to our gate. I grab my bag, ready for a stressful security check. Lauren looks at her watch, looks at me and nonchalantly says, “I think I have time for a cigarette”. Who am I to argue? We hang outside for a few minutes, giving zero fucks about the urgency of our flight. We talk about music, continuing to get to know each other.

Once finished, we make our way through security and to our gate. We walk straight on the plane, the last ones to board.

Now, I’ve never flown first class. So, for me, flying means a certain number of things. Its mean a general pain in my legs and back from lack of movement. It means restless sleep and tiny battles for the neutral arm and leg space. It means a 1 in 10 chance of getting motion sickness with all the cold sweat and agony that goes along with it. First Class flying is something else. First Class means drinks before take off; all the space you need to spread out and make yourself comfortable; full meal service with trays of mimosas floating by. It means enough space to put your luggage up without a struggle. It means no stress. If I could I would do this for every flight and now that I’ve had a taste of it, it’s hard not to want it again.

The last leg of our flight was an hour and a half. I’m lounging and enjoying myself. All I can think about is how much I’ve enjoyed these little pleasures and how nice it would be to live this relaxed all the time. No stress, feeling taken care of and important. I remember being in Mexico last year reading a script on a white day bed, drinking pina coladas enjoying the sea breeze. The type of relaxation that shuts down the rest of your brain only leaving the pleasure center working, pulsating out good feelings.

The crack of the pilot’s mic breaks my fantasy. I hear the pilot say, “we’re going to be making our dissent into Port Au Prince” and I start to remember. I’m going to Haiti. All the research I did on the country starts to surge. It tells me: Haiti is by far the poorest and most troubled country I’ve ever visited. The rate of crime is staggering, after the earthquake all the prisoners who weren’t crushed, escaped and took shelter in tent camps with the rest of the refugees. They regained control of gangs and now use the camps as their bases. The corruption is terrifying. Politicians use gangs to bully illiterate, scared masses into giving their vote. Their justice system makes ours look divine. A person can be arrested without cause and thrown into jail without even knowing why. In Haiti they have mandatory jailing for those waiting to see a judge but the courts are so backed up and backwards that it can take 5 years to ever be charged. Kidnappings are frequent. There is huge political and social unrest that can explode into violence any day. Cholera, mosquito born disease are the most common illnesses available. Scenarios rush through my head. Suddenly I don’t feel so comfortable or taker care of or important. I’m just scared.

No comments:

Post a Comment