Wednesday, January 2, 2013

The Gayest Post

There have been a few bloggable moments in this trip so far but I haven’t had the time or internet connection to blog them. But I figure I’ll tell you those once I see you in LA since I can’t compete with Jesse’s storytelling prose. Instead I will write about something more sentimental that I have been pondering over the last few days.

As I have told you guys before, my family is HUGE. For the Christmas Eve party, there were 40 of us celebrating at my aunt’s house and that wasn’t including my parents, my sister, and anyone on my mom’s side of the family. It doesn’t matter how we are related whether we are cousins, second cousins, great uncles, cousin’s boyfriends, we are all just family in the end. To tell you the truth. I never really started making the connections of how we are related until now because I never felt the need to.

The one person I heard a lot about but never had a chance to meet was my grandfather, Moises, as he was called. I knew a little bit about him from the diaries he wrote that my grandma kept and the stories others told about him. He was a man with a great sense of fashion who always kept a comb in his pocket, a magnificent writer who never missed the smallest of details in his diaries, and the epitome of a family man.

Last week I was able to see him through a video that was made of his 60th birthday celebration. The celebration was at The Quinta that he had bought for the sole reason to bring the family together. The Quinta was therefore properly nicknamed the Moisheraton, a combination of Moises and Sheraton because of all the people that would meet every Sunday. The thing that stuck out about the video was how much people loved him. Like if I didn’t know any better I would think that he was a Godfather just like in the movie. People would surround him, laugh with him, kiss him, hug him, almost as if they owed him something. But he was just a man that wanted nothing more than to spend time with you, to share some laughs, to dance, and to just have a good time. It seems like he was the one that started the tradition of keeping the family together. He is the reason why our family gatherings are so big and so amazing.

I had always taken it for granted, that everyone had family gatherings like mine and that their cousins were their best friends. But I mean this in the most non-bragging way possible that I have a truly special family. I’ve heard many people say to me that they despise their family gatherings and I could never connect with that because family parties always trumped an outing with the friends.

But before I get too carried away and too boring (and you are probably not even reading this anymore), I’ll relate this back to you. You guys are part of that family. Never have I felt so comfortable to do and say whatever I think and know that you may actually like it. Each and everyone of you have changed me so much in these last 3.5 years. I would have never thought that I would be listening to The Beatles as I write this blog. Adrian has passed on to me his douchyness, Jesse his lazyness, Scott his Texan ignorance, John his love for alcohol, Joe his gayness, and Josh his shit. Now I’m truly an asshole. No but seriously just look at the music I listen to now, The Beatles (Adrian), Kanye (Scott), Yonkers (Jesse). Fuck, I just hope I was able to give something back to you guys. I’m a little bit scared that I might have just passed on bullshit.

In this new year I’m so pumped to see what’s going to happen. Can’t wait for LA, to be back with many of you guys, and to do some more fucking around. I’ll end this blog with a quote from my grandpa Moises as he blew out the candles for his birthday cake, “Thank you for coming, and thank you for being who you are.”

P.S.: Adrian and Josh have an amazing trip. Stay safe and can’t wait to hear about it!

P.P.S: Since for some reason it’s not letting me comment on the posts, Jesse that was an awesome story like always. Adrian: Is that realy puke?? and also nice poem.



3 comments:

  1. you describe yourself like a frankenstein monster made of our negative qualities. but i enjoyed the post. cant wait to suck everyones dicks.

    ReplyDelete