Monday, January 28, 2013

My Weekend With Jesse: Part One; Salsa Dancing and Giant Cookie

Friends, Romans, Senators, lend me your ears.

After an extended blog hiatus caused my distraction, forgetfully, and general doucheyness, I have returned. Allow me to offer this story as an apology for my absence.

It started with salsa dancing...

--

Alex invited Jesse and I, as well as others, to a free salsa dancing class/workshop over at MIT. The class was from noon to 3pm, and we were going in a group of about seven. Chiara came to workshop, but Kaitlyn wasn't able to because she was at work. When we got to the class, everyone nervously hung up their coats, stowed their bags in the corner, and prepped for what some feared would be a hard-ass salsa class. Fortunately, the class was split up into beginners and advanced dancers, each group with it's own teacher. We all went to the beginner side, and joyfully spent the next two hours dancing in a big circle and learning an array of simple but fun salsa moves. While I enthusiastically struggled, Jesse fucking owned it. After a while Jesse, who never danced salsa, was teaching other people moves. Him and Chiara also got some sweet dance time together. And... well... I wouldn't say sparks were flying between them, but there were some embers, and everyone was on their hands and knees and shit trying to blow into the base of their romance. The third hour was "free dancing", which was just goofing around with all of our new moves we learned.

After the class we all went to lunch, and then went to Shaw's to buy stuff to bake cookies at home. We got back to the apartment, kicked up our feet, put on some music, and began baking cookies. (Chiara had left by this point because she had to be at work). We were baking one sheet of double chocolate cookies, and then another sheet was dedicated to making a single giant m+m cookie. In the middle of the cookie fun, however, Kaitlyn gives me a call.

I go to my room to talk to her in private and answer the phone with something like, "Hey baby! Are you done with work? How are you doing? Do you want to come over and bake cookies?". To which she answered with something like, "Joseph, I just want to let you know that I am very frustrated with you over something you did, but I don't want to tell you now, I just want to let you know that you're in trouble, and yes I want to come over, and no, we won't talk about it when I get there". As perhaps you might guess, I was fucking flabbergasted. I bit my tongue though, tried to think reasonably about the situation, and invited her over.

When I went back to the kitchen, there was a wild bet going on. The giant m+m cookie, having been brought out of the oven and half eaten, was lying on the table. Everyone was stuffed. Somehow the room agreed that if Lee can eat the second half of the giant cookie in the next 25 minutes, Emily, Kelly, and Michelle are going to show him their boobs. The race was on.

Just then, Kaitlyn arrived and I greeted her tentatively in the hall. I judged that my mysterious offence was not serious enough to talk about now, but that Kaitlyn was in a terrible mood. So I was in a terrible mood. Then she expressed to me that she really doesn't condone the cookie/boob bet. Without getting into details, we fought about it.

An hour later, Kaitlyn had left in a huff, Lee had lost and was unable to eat the cookie, and I was angry, confused, and guilty that I wasn't able to focus on spending time with Jesse. An overall tragedy...

No comments:

Post a Comment