Thursday, January 31, 2013

An Attempt: Part One

I begin this story from a bed on the ground of a third floor studio apartment. To my right there is a dirty plate and glass; to my left is a blank wall.
-----------------------
January 4th, 2013
I have just spent my first New Year's in Los Angeles. While it has only been four days since my arrival, my nerves are on the rise from a lack of work. I have not been working since November; I have yet to receive an email even remotely alluding to work. I am starting to panic.

That evening I decide to try something, something which I had intended to save for (at least) a little while longer. I can't, however, wait.
--------------------
June-July 2012
I am spending the best, albeit, last summer of my college life in Italy with my girlfriend, Ella. While the schoolwork is trying, the experience of traveling across the Italian countryside with new friends is something I hope never to forget.

The other kids in the program are of a mix of backgrounds, and almost all of them are great. My three roommates, Alvaro, James, and Andrea, are the nicest guys-- and I hope we stay in contact.

While there, I made a friend who told me that her father is a Gaffer. I, naturally, was very intrigued.
-----------------------

January 4th, 2013
I decide to email the father of my friend from Italy. His response is short and to the point, "Let's try and chat Monday or Tuesday. -Jay"

I instantly feel a surge of anxiety. I don't know what to say or how to handle talking to this man. He knows as well as I do that anything he does for me is a risk for him. 

I collect myself and await his call.
-----------------------------------
Tuesday, January 8th, 2013
I am sitting with Ella at a local Japanese Market called, Mitsua, when my phone rings. Immediately, I run out to my car and answer, trying my best not to pant from the 20 yard dash. 

We talk...
---------------------------------- 
Back at Ella's house, I pace back and forth. While on the phone, Jay put an idea into my head. He told me that he is going to New Mexico at the start of February for a feature. He lamented that he could only hire locals. It was then. 

We had been discussing other options prior to this. He had suggest moving. He said Los Angeles was in no shape for a kid like me, wanting to get on Union shows. He said New Orleans or Georgia would be his move.

I then spat it out. I had asked him if he would hire me, if I was a local in New Mexico. His response was a laugh and an, "of course." He didn't think I was too serious.

Ella is with me-- 100%
She says that I would be an idiot to miss this chance and we start looking into its probability.

We come up with a plan:
I go to New Mexico, work this job, get into the Union. Then I change my mailing address to a P.O. Box and head back to Los Angeles. Any time there is a show in New Mexico, I can come work on it. Any time there isn't a show, I'm in LA with all of my best friends.

Within five days, I have been approved for an apartment in Santa Fe.
---------------------------------
Sunday, January 20, 2013

I had planned to leave sooner, but it didn't make sense. Had I left, I would have arrived on the weekend and none of the businesses would be open-- Leasing Office, DMV, etc.

I say goodbye to you guys, and I say goodbye to Ella and her mom. 

The road trip begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment