Friday, February 1, 2013

An Attempt: Part Three

Unit 89303
Santa Fe, NM
Having arrived in Santa Fe, I go to the Leasing Office. After some preliminary paperwork, I am brought to would would become my apartment. The kind woman shows me the place and I, not knowing what the right protocol is, go to each faucet and turn it on to check the water.

That is the extent of my examination. I sign the lease.

After bringing in my belongings, I quickly realize that I have not nearly enough things to make this place homely and resort to picking a corner in the studio and making it mine.

p.s.
If you would like to visit, there is plenty of space, because I am currently occupying 25-30% of the area inside this place.

Now that I have made myself a little area, I proceed with the night sans internet. I have never felt more aLoNeEeEeee...
----------------------------------
Tuesday, January 22, 2013
At 9am the comcast guys knock on my door. I let them inside, pretending that the lack of shit in my apartment is normal. They set up the internet and I am off.

I make a list of my main tasks:
Sign apartment lease (I like to include things I've already done, just so I go into it with a positive 'tude)
Get Driver's License
Take Union Safety Course
-----------------------------------
Saturday, January 26, 2013

I take the Safety Course at this guy's house. It was mostly about fire extinguishers.
----------------------------------
Monday, January 28, 2013
I took the None For The Road Drunk Driving Awareness Course online in order to get my Driver's License a week ago. Being under 24, it is required. My certificate has not come. I call the office and a woman there tells me that she mailed it a week ago and that I should have gotten it. I tell her I haven't and she offers to send it again. I tell her that I will just come to her office, which is in Albuquerque.

Once there, I get my certificate and proceed to the closest DMV. I make it just before they close. With a copy of my lease agreement in hand, a utility bill, a valid driver's license, and my Social Security card, I make an attempt at becoming a legal New Mexico Resident.

I get past the point of having my picture taken when the man doing my paperwork notices that the copy of my lease agreement is not a signed copy of my lease agreement. He tells me to go get it signed and come back tomorrow.

I am pissed. I tell the man, in the rudest voice I can muster, that their online directions state that I need a copy of my lease agreement, not a signed copy of my lease agreement. He could not give less fucks. He says that it isn't his problem. I say that my name is on the damn form and so is the address which matches the bill in his hand. He says I should have followed the rules. I said the rules should be posted online. He says "well, pffh." I say, "yeah, pffh."

In my car, I say all the awful and profane things I had wanted to say to his face. Doesn't really help, but I've seen it play out that way in movies, so it must be normal.
-----------
Tonight
-I am laying on my floorpad/bed having watched two movies and 4 episodes of television today, so far.
-I have gotten my New Mexico Driver's License and essentially checked everything off my to-do list.
-I am just waiting for the work to start.
-Meanwhile, I am lying here wondering if I could have squeezed in a few more days with you guys before leaving.

No comments:

Post a Comment