Monday, March 17, 2014

Drawings from Last Week, Today: (3/11-3/16). Part 1/2

So as you all know, I've been trying to draw more and more. Last week, two separate nights in a row, I combined all the Deathly Hallows and decided to draw whatever came to my mind. I tried to let my mind wander while drawing these and I think it's apparent.

So for the first of two posts pertaining to last weeks drawings, I give you the drawing I entitle:


"Fuck"

As you can see, "Fuck" is kind of a lovely mess. I believe it is a reflection of how my brain works. But unlike past drawings in my notebook, I decided to give this drawing some flavor.

Sometimes when I fuck up, I self-criticize myself and point out my own fuck ups in a drawing (see Part 2/2). This time I did criticize myself, but I also embraced how I fucked up everything.

This drawing began with the face, as many of my drawings do. I think I originally wanted the character to be looking down at someone. I had drawn one of my characters looking at a child on a previous date and I wanted to emulate what I had done here. Well, I fucked up. My character turned into a hunchbacked creature and I decided to write "Fuck" in bolded, yet flowing letters. Following this, I decided to draw the speech bubble, which I try to have fun with. I hate the normal speech bubble. I like making it whimsical and weirdly shaped. But once again, I fucked up, as is apparent by the two humps in the top right.

But I did something I usually never do: I decided to continue drawing whatever came to mind. I decided to draw the bikers next. Driving up and over the mountains, I decided to also add clouds. Due to my lack of good perspective drawings, I tried to draw a cloud going behind a mountain, but it just looked like clown hair, so I embraced it and gave the mountain a face.

Next, I drew the lake in the middle because the negative space in the middle of the speech bubble looked like a lake. When I thought about the lake, I wanted to draw a dinosaur in it or at least Nessy, which is why Pac Man is in the middle of the lake. The original head I drew looked too much like Pac Man, so I embraced it. Then I actually tried to draw Nessy and added the castle just for the reference to make sense.

Following this, I wanted to try to draw something else, maybe something the character was looking at. That's what the Chain Chomp looking mother fucker kind of is. I decided to draw shapes on its back to not make it another video game reference and I wanted to draw a cowboy riding it as if it was a horse, so all the shapes on the back kind of look like saddles.

Then I drew that kid saying "MAH!" and then drew his "MAH" and I decided to end it there because she accidentally became the object everyone is looking at in the drawing. All attention is on her.

But while this may seem like a mishmash of thoughts and images, this is how my brain works. But I am learning from this process and the only way to get better at things is to keep doing them. I overcame my own negativity here and was able to semi-accurately display what was going on in my mind and how my mind works at certain times (especially when the Deathly Hallows are involved).

Stay tuned for Part 2/2 where the drawing is entitled: "This World is a Void: or I'm Feeling Self-Destructive".

-Josh Age: 22

2 comments:

  1. i'll have to check the records, but this may be your greatest post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Records were checked, Mr. Senator. This is the senator's greatest post.

      Delete