Thursday, April 25, 2013

I Thought Murderers Would Be Better At Pool

Last night Nick, Scott and I attended a private screening of a movie Scott edited over the course of 3 years. Its a werewolf feature called (well, in order to not damage the film, lets just call it) "That Stupid Fucking Werewolf Movie". Its oppressively bad. So hard to watch I was too pissed off to fall asleep in the big comfy screening room chairs. The worst part of this travesty is the ending where a lake MELTS an old man (how I don't know) and two teenage werewolf get shot and killed but then wake up minutes later completely unharmed (how... HOW! I WATCHED THEM DIE AND THEN THEY WAKE UP?! AS IF THE DIRECTOR HAD NO UNDERSTANDING OF WHAT DYING MEANS). Oh! and the sheriff hands over the entire town to a man in jail whom everyone thought was crazy, who then enacts marshall law giving out handguns to teenagers.

Anyway, needless to say we all needed a drink afterwards. So we went to a great bar in Santa Monica called Library Alehouse. After an hour of good beer, good food and merciless film bashing Nick bounces. Scott and I decide to stay and order more beer. After choosing particular strong beers its obvious neither of us are fit to drive. The best way we know how to kill time is to find a billiards hall. We ask around on the street and hear about a place called The Brig on Abbot Kinney that has a single pool table. (this piece has been removed for "maybe I shouldn't have that on the interwebs" purposes)

Its late. Those sad few left at the bar on a Wednesday night could be as sketchy but in this particular instance shadowy feel more accurate. The bar is dark, faces are not visible. There is as promised single unoccupied pool table. Standing right next to one end of the table is a couple fiercely making out. As we make our way over they briefly acknowledge us but choose to go back to their make out session. We get quarters from the bar and play a game. Neither of us have played in a long time so the game lasts longer than it should. One game down and we're still not sober enough so opt for another game. I watch as Scott approaches the bar. Waiting for his change I see him strike up a conversation with two guys sitting next to him. He points over to the pool table. He points to me.  He points to himself. Then he makes a circle gesture to all of us. I guess we're about to play doubles.

 Scott comes back with his two new friends and says we're all gonna play a game. As I'm introducing myself, lets call him Guy 2 says "While we're playing let make it interesting. Losers buy the winners shots!". Being cheap and broke, I'm immediately opposed to the idea. But fuck it! Why not? They assure us they're not pool sharks and we set up the table. I ask Guy 1 what they both do for a living and he says he's a varsity coach at a high school and his friend, Guy 2, is a junior varsity coach. This sounds a but like bull shit, why would two high school coaches be getting drunk on a Wednesday night. Then again, why wouldn't they.

I break. The game starts. Its soon obvious that we are all on the same level, skill wise. None of us come off as being anything but familiar with billards. My break yields nothing. Guy 2 shoots, one in. Then miss. I shoot, nothing. Guy 1 shoots, nothing. Scott shoots, nothing. I shoot, one in... oh... wait that was the 8 ball. FUCK. Just lost the game. They are too drunk to notice the mistake so I have to stop Guy 2 from shooting and let him know the game is over. He looks at me and confused for a second and then yells "SHOTS!". We buy shots. They shoot shots. And go to get more coins for the second game. We disperse briefly for a piss/coin break. When we reconviene Guy 1 and Guy 2 tell us they're done playing.

 But before they leave Guy 2 (junior varsity coach) asks
"So are you guys gay or something?"
I say "No, just roommates"
Scott says "But we did go to a very gay friendly school"
Guy 2 "Yeah, where?"
Scott "Boston"
Guy 2 "Boston?! Noooooo, there aint no gays in Boston. What school?"
Scott "Emerson, there are lots of 'em"
Guy 2 "I've never heard of it. My brother lives in Dorchester, thats a crazy place. If you're gay there you'll get fucked up. I had to stab a guy just to get in"
Me "Like, get into a gang?"
Guy 2 "No, to get into Dorchester! My brother said 'You see that guy over there, you gotta stab him' I said 'why'. He said 'you just gotta'. So I took the knife and stab that motherfucker ten time! My brother said 'You killed him'"
Me "..."
Scott "..."
Guy 1 "... "
Guy 2 "Good night guys!"

They leave.
Me "Did he just say murdered a man in Dorchester"
Scott "Yup, we just met a murderer"
Me "Wanna play another game?"
Scott "Sure why not"

I thought murderers would be better at pool

PS - This is the second time in a row Scott and I have gone out and had a man tell us about his experience kill another man. 2 for 2 baby!





6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "After choosing particular strong beers its obvious neither of us are fit to drive."... "Logically we drive the short two block distance and quickly find ourselves inside said Brig."

    Can't drive...drive...

    O_O

    "This sounds a but like bull shit, why would two high school coaches be getting drunk on a Wednesday night. Then again, why wouldn't they."

    Some of your best writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. a very strong blog post. it's a shame you don't have interest in actually pursuing screenwriting. there's a good monologue in there somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy yall enjoyed it! I'll go try and have some more adventures.

      Delete