Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Adventure Park Observations

As many of you already know, I'm working at a ropes course this summer and it's a great temporary job even though I'm not getting enough hours. I had never experienced the stereotypical summer job so often seen in movies until now. Jobs like lifeguarding, camp counseling, refereeing(?), carnival staffing, taco belling all have a laid back, community feel to them that I wasn't sure was real until I became a monitor at this park. I don't know if it's the temporary nature of the job, the fact that it's summer, or the ridiculousness of it all that warrants co-workers to give just a bit less of a fuck than they would at a normal job. For example, the last two days i have worked from 2pm til 8pm and not one person came to the park to climb during that time. What the fuck do we do? Play wiffle ball of course and then a little bit of home run derby. Yesterday we didn't have the bat or the ball so a bunch of people made some awesome looking sticks/staffs/swords while we talked about Black Dynamite. Time went a little bit slow but it was all very enjoyable. My manager also fucked me with his laid-blackness laid-backness cause he took forever to train me and put me into the schedule and now that I'm on it, he does it only three days in advance. But whatever, it's the summer, I'm working out, I'm chillin (wish I had you guys nearby), I'm playing basketball and soccer, I'm watching great docs on Netflix and I'm preparing for a road trip. Can't knock on that. And that seems to be the vibe with most of the people I work with.

Now on to some people I have seen at the park:

-The YOLO-er: This fucking kid (prob 7-9 yrs. old), was bitching about getting past this obstacle which was basically a swing across two platforms. It took nearly 10 mins to get him to go across and then he yells "YOLO! YOLO!! YOLO!!!" what the fuck is wrong with this new generation? Hey kid, you swung across two platforms with nothing to worry about, how about you do that without a harness and fall to your death so then I can yell "YOLO!"

-The Pisser: Felt really bad for this 7 year old who got so scared he pissed his pants. Tried to kinda hide it but when there is a dark spot the size rhode island on your shorts, one hand covering your crotch is not going to do it. (I really did feel awful for the kid).

-The Switcher: I have seen many kids do this, one minute they are so excited to go zip-lining and try this whole thing out, the next they are yelling out "staff" to be rescued and be brought down at once. Don't know why it happens but it does, I'm just going to blame the parents.

Alright this is it for now, I'm off to bed to wake up tomorrow and know that I'm one day closer to being in LA and seeing most of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment