Wednesday, November 5, 2014

The Rising Dark: Chapter Two; Pog

Yo-ho, what travels Stu and I have had in such short days! This morning, we awoke and stumbled our way to the mess for some early-dawn refreshments. The light had just begun to peek through the trees and gave a pearly glisten to the resting glasses. Simply spiff! By the pub, we noticed the dragonborn and Golden boy up as well. Stu made himself comfortable as I approached the scale-clad fellow, Laslo Gall. He was curious and kind enough, but seemed to be in an awful hurry to leave this all behind. As I was sharing my plans to seek out a new vessel, the well-armored boy joined our conversation... Spuds! I still cannot recall catching his name! Well… in any case, he was a bold young man and must be just so smitten of the outdoors, for I have never heard one man speak of sunshine with such delight. A bit later, the elves came down from their rest. I learned from conversation that the two were a sort of distant breed of brothers, but just as soon as they came, the Drow ran out and we were left chatting with Puff, the dozier of the two. It was not long before we recalled our meeting with the sheriff and took our leave of the inn.

How queer to always have such a stillness after rowdy times, as if a whale had just taken a breath and put itself into a deep slumber. Ho, and the walks we had with this feel on the streets! It was a bit of a scavenger hunt, roaming to the church and about on a tedious quest for knowledge. Not that there weren’t plenty of questions surrounding the incident, just not in our place to answer them, I think. Either way, the Drow appeared by the cemetery all roughed up. Poor soul seemed an absolute mess. I suppose the town must not be too friendly for his kind after last night. I have witnessed some looks, but never such malice to be caught in a scruff... Ay, that’s right! Stu had asked the Drow to fetch some cheese earlier that day, but I suppose him too battered now to remember. What a shame. Always keen to know what type of cheese a man picks on a stranger’s request.

On the word of the Gravedigger, we found ourselves at the mausoleum, a frigid little building just south of the forests. There was nothing of much interest except for a curious extrusion from the stone grave. I gave a forceful shove and pushed the stone flush. Woe, did the walls shake! I fell flat on my bum as the room seemed to change form and right before our eyes a black hallway appeared accompanied by a sharp stench. Now, it’s not as though I wanted to approach the noises echoing through the cavern, but what else was there to do? No second corridor had opened, no stairs to climb, and no foreseeable escape, so it was into the abyss we go!

Most must think me mad when I admit what we encountered at the end of that hallway and truth be told, I’m not sure I believe myself! As we walked deeper, the smells and groans grew stronger until the hallway opened into a small room filled with the dead--or once dead. Now they were upright and milling about, looking like spineless puppets dragged along the concrete. Puff’s spell had cloaked us from this danger, but the Drow went in swinging! What a fool to be so bold! The bodies crackled as they turned towards our party and now we really had no choice but to fight. I had my bow drawn and the rest of the boys took charge.  Nice to see these lads up-close in action and quite a choreographed dance we had performed, slaying the zombies one by one. Though, they did not go with ease. Why, Laz sliced the head clean off and still the body did not fall!

When we turned to escape, a ghost appeared and whispered much the opposite of sweet nothings into our ears. Ho, what a fright it was! Once more, we found ourselves forced to continue down this dungeon where we entered a room of Stu’s dreams! It was filled to the brim with the finest cheeses, but as I reached for a piece of this delight, it melted, oozed and bruised, turning the whole room rotten. What a wicked trap!

Our crew trudged forward and found a curious statue lit by a golden flame. The elves were all about the markings on the statue, but I was transfixed by the room itself. How grand it was under this shabby town! Not much craft to gaze at, but still a wonder. As I admired the rusty stonework, everything went black, same as before on the night of the goblins. The room flickered before a great scarecrow appeared behind us and what strange tongue it spoke! It must have been something the elves understood, for they were nodding and acting in hush secrets. Puff muttered some speech and the scarecrow vanished with a high-pitched cackle.

Down another set of stairs laid a labyrinth of rooms and halls. The sun-lad sensed a draft coming from our right, but the Drow, as if possessed from some stroke of stupidity, did not follow! Him and his brother continued port and our group parted ways. The hall we had chosen seemed to continue endlessly with no twists or turns in sight. After some time, I heard a faint scream from the Drow behind us. It seems this man can not catch a break!

As our morning crew rushed back to where the party had split, I saw forms begin to take shape in the darkness. Puff had transformed into his great elk and the Drow was perched on top, swinging at a four-legged creature. This was indeed far less graceful than one can imagine. As we entered the room, the great elk trounced on the beast with such force! Hi-ho, what a sight, what a show! We fought them off and collected our thoughts in the silent room, which had a number of runes placed about it. Figures suddenly appeared from these runes and the wicked thing lunged at me, grabbed my arm and pinned me to the floor. The others seemed to be in a similar position as I fought to be freed from the witches grasp, but… Ay, I guess I don’t really recall much of what happened after that. I awoke after some time to Lazzie’s call and our crew dashed out of the caverns to report to the sheriff. Not much talk the rest of the evening, I assume each ruminating on what we had just lay witness to. We said our nights and tired at the Rusty Dragon.

For the time being, I can’t see much reason not to travel along side these gents. A spicy mystery we have on our hands now, and oh what adventure awaits!

Sincerely forever yours truly,
Slyvian T.R. Pog.

No comments:

Post a Comment