Tuesday, May 27, 2014

My Really Long Beach Bike Ride (and blog)

It was Monday, Memorial Day. I woke up late because I hadn't had much sleep the last couple of days but I decided that I would still make something of the day and not laze around. 

Got up, took a shower, ate some breakfast and cruised the webs. I was feeling pretty tired but I knew that as soon as I did some physical activity that the tired feeling would go away.

I ate some lunch and decided that after letting the food digest I would go on a bike ride through Venice beach. Even though I was still feeling really sluggish, I got up on the bike and headed over. 

Immediately the tiredness went away and I was down for whatever. 

I got to the beach and it was packed as expected. I brought my headphones so that I could listen to some music on this bike journey, something I had never tried before because I think it's dangerous to do on the road. But this was a bike path along the beach so nothing could go wrong. 

I decided to keep the headphones off at first. I was enjoying the soundtrack that was going on so I had no reason to change it. The sound of the waves crashing, the families enjoying their time playing games, the sound of the bike tires on the sand and the wind hitting my face all felt just right. 

I also decided that I would go slow so that I could take it all in. There was no rush, there was no final destination, I was only doing what felt right to me in that moment. 

I kept on riding until I stopped to watch some roller bladers dance to some funky music. It was dope. These guys were having a blast doing their thing and not giving a fuck. There was this old couple roller blade dancing together that was so in sync with each other that it was beautiful to watch. Made me think that when I grow older I hope that I can find something unique like that that I can do with my girlfriend. Something that takes years to create and cannot be replicated because of the bond that is needed between me and my partner.

Another thing to note was that as I was riding there was different music being played by all the different people that were there so every part of the bike ride had its own little soundtrack that I really enjoyed. 

I kept on riding and riding and I didn't know when I was going to stop. Every time I asked myself if I should stop I was just like why the fuck not keep going so I just kept on peddling. 

I finally reached a point where I wanted a water brake so I stepped off the path, ate some nuts, got some water, and then decided it was time for some music

At first I was thinking Outkast for some fun beats to cruise to. As I was about to select it, "I think I can" started playing and I was like damn, I think I have to play the whole Fall Be Kind album. 

"Graze" hit my ears and all was good with the world. I was zoning. There could have been one thousand people in my way or nobody, it didn't make a difference. I was in my zone, in my own little world, and nobody could take me out of it. 

Then the second part of Graze hit and I couldn't take the smile off my face. That beat brings nothing but absolute joy. It even brought the thought, what if humans died when they reached a peak level of happiness and satisfaction with their lives. Now of course this doesn't make much sense but I suddenly felt like if that's the case I might die on this bike. Of course I had to blog this story so there was no way I was going to let that happen. 

Finally the bike path ended and I came to this. 


Took a few moments to take it all in. The people, the beach, the sky, the sun, the beautiful music, and then I jumped back on the bike.  Ohh yeah "What do I want? Sky" was playing. 

After I finished the Fall be Kind album it was time for some Merriweather Post Pavilion.

All the songs were amazing! My Girls hit really nicely. No need for any extra bullshit, people were at the beach enjoying their time with good friends. And I thought, I just need the basics so that I can keep repeating this simple task: hang out with the people I love. What's that saying, crazy is repeating the same task over and over again and expecting a different result? Well I'm a fucking mad man because every time I hang out with you guys I expect something different to happen and every time an original moment, one that's truly different from all the others, is created and stored in the collective brain of the group for us to reminisce on on a future date. What else could I want in life? (Maybe a girlfriend).

I kept on riding sometimes fast to see what it would feel like and then slow again. I also took on the spirit of the roller bladers and was trying to bounce on my bike as much as I could to the beat of the music. So much fun, I just wish screaming in public wasn't such a big deal cause on some of those songs I just wanted to yell with them. 

I watched some skaters do their thing at the bowl, and finished off the album before heading back to my place. 

Overall it was a beautiful experience. I wish I could have had you guys biking with me. I definitely want to do it again and a tandem bike ride with you guys would be dope. Let's do it, please?

Tldr: listen to some music and ride your bike down the beach. You will not regret it.

Ps: I wrote this on my phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment